- A firm belief in the ongoing validity of God’s covenantal promises to Israel, including the future national salvation and restoration to the land.
- A deep appreciation of the original Jewish context of Christianity and affirmation of the Jewish identity of Jesus.
- An ongoing commitment to affirm and support the proclamation of the Gospel as the only way of salvation among the Jewish people.
- A strong rejection and critique of supersessionism (replacement theology) as a valid theological construct.
- A strong rejection of antisemitism in general, and theological antisemitism in particular.
- A recognition that a balanced approach to biblical eschatology is crucial in equipping the Church to understand the times .
“For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the Lord and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel.” Ezra 7:10
STUDY: Primary importance is given to the study of scriptures. The Ezra Foundation is committed to upholding Biblical authority whilst encouraging believers to explore what the Bible teaches concerning Israel and the nations. Emphasis will also be placed on studying Jewish history, the Jewish context of Jesus, the historical relationship between Israel and the Church, and the roots of the current Middle East conflict.
PRACTICE: The goal of studying the scriptures is to produce a living practical faith. This is the essence of discipleship and part of fulfilling the great commission to “make disciples”. By providing a biblical framework to understand the role of Israel in God’s larger redemptive plan, the Church will be better equipped to engage and correct the strong anti-Israel narrative that pervades the culture and too often the Church.
TEACH: The primary focus of the Ezra Foundation will be upon producing resources to equip the Church with a robust theology of Israel the upholds the integrity of God’s covenantal promises. This will include sharing content and collaborating with like-minded scholars, pastors, and leaders. This will necessarily involve looking at the wider geo-political issues involved and helping believers construct a balanced and biblical framework to understand this complex history.
The desire is to ensure that these truths are communicated to the next generation in a way that is contextually relevant, will foster a deep love for the Bible, and accurately expresses God’s heart towards His people.
About Thomas Fretwell
Founder, Ministry Director
Thomas Fretwell has B.Th. and M.A. Degrees in Theology. He is currently undertaking Ph.D. research in a field related to Jewish-Christian studies. He is a tutor in Theology at King’s Evangelical Divinity School where he teaches courses on Israel, Politics and the Land. He writes regularly for the schools Jewish-Christian Study Center. An engaging speaker, Thomas regularly speaks to people of all ages on a variety of biblical topics and apologetics issues. He hosts the Theology & Apologetics podcast and serves as the Senior Pastor at Calvary Chapel Hastings.